Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The strangest thing

Today I came to work. I got 3 messages in my voicemail inbox. One of them was from a woman in Ashland. She was asking about "the Ethernet". I called her back to explain that ethernet is a system for cabling in networks. We started having a conversation about what the difference between the internet and ethernet was. She said she was glad I could clear it up for her. I asked why this topic had come up and she said a boy on the internet was talking to her in a chat room, I assume, about this subject. I thought this very odd. She then asked if she could ask me another question. I said didn't mind. So she explained one of the most bizarre things I've ever heard. She asked me if there is a way to broadcast yourself on the internet. I said I knew of some way for outgoing broadcasting, things like radio stations, etc. She asked, "Can someone direct that signal toward someone else?" I said I didn't know. This woman hears voices all around her 24/7, in her home, in her car, in the super market. She swears that she's not crazy. She had her ears checked last fall and doesn't have any hearing problems. I asked her about her cable modem set up, whether she has a router. I explained that routers are on specific frequencies which match those of cordless phones, microwaves, etc. She said she had a wireless router. I thought this could be the culprit. But then she added that she can hear these voices in the car, as well. I'm thinking, wow, this woman sure is crazy. I told her to try to contact her phone company, Qwest, and see if they knew of a electronics diagnostic test she could have of her home. There must be someone around here that can check it out and see if maybe there are some rogue signals somehow berrating her with voices. She said she was glad I listened to her so long. WOW!! What a crazy phone call! A day in the life of the Computer Science office manager, lol!

No comments: